You are currently viewing T9: US TAX RETURNS FORMS


US Tax Returns Forms

Listed below are the Tax forms that are commonly used by tax payers to report income tax to the IRS including the forms commonly received as inputs for preparing tax returns. 

Form 1040: US Individual Income Tax Return

Most important form and is the Annual income tax return filed by citizens or residents of the United States. For more complicated returns (for example, you claim certain deductions or credits or owe additional taxes) there would be a need to also complete Schedules 1 through 3.

Form 1040-SR., U.S. Tax Return for Seniors, has been introduced for 2019. You can use this form if you were born before January 2, 1955.

A return using form 1040 is required if single and income $12,200 and if married $24,400. Some additional amount thresholds if 65 years or older. 

Standard Deduction 2019: Single or Married filing separately—$12,200. • Married filing jointly or Qualifying widow(er)—$24,400.

Form W-4: Employee’s Withholding Certificate

Complete Form W-4 so your employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay. The Form contains information you provide about estimated income and is given to employer so as to withhold appropriate tax at source.

Form 1040-ES: Estimated Tax for Individuals

Form 1040-ES is used by persons with income not subject to tax withholding to figure and pay estimated tax.

Form 941: Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return

Form completed and filed by Employers who withhold income taxes, social security tax, or Medicare tax from employee’s paychecks or who must pay the employer’s portion of social security or Medicare tax to the IRS

Form W-2: Wage and Tax Statement

Employers must file a Form W-2 for each employee from whom Income, social security, or Medicare tax was withheld.  A copy of W-2 goes to employee and used to enter the tax details in form 1040.

Forms 1099-MISC: Miscellaneous Income and Nonemployee Compensation

File Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, for each person in the course of your business to whom you have paid the following during the year: • At least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest. • At least $600 in: 1. Rents; 2. Prizes and awards; 3. Other income payments; etc.

There are other form 1099’s such as 1099-INT for interest, 1099-DIV for dividend and distributions (from mutual fund), 1099-B for sale of securities resulting in capital gain, and 1099-R for retirement accounts withdrawal like from IRA to name common 1099 forms. 

Further details refer IRS site:

Leave a Reply